SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Paul Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:48:27 +0000
Hi there,

A few additions:

'Butterfly Kiss' (d. Michael Winterbottom, 1996, GB)
Amanda Plummer/Saskia Reeves star, explores psychosis of woman serial
killer(s), who also happen to be lovers

'A Question of Silence' (d. Marleen Gorris, 1983, Netherlands)
Three women kill a man and remain silent after the fact, looks at violence
in/against a male-dominated society.

These two are thoroughly recommended for your course, as they actually
explore the implications/issues arising from women being violent (as
opposed to 'merely' representing it . . .I know the dividing line between
thematics and more 'formal' aspects is a blurred one, but still . . .)

There are also films like 'The Long Kiss Goodnight', 'Nikita' (and its US
remake 'The Assassin') where a woman is coerced into being violent for some
shady state apparatus (or, in the case of 'TLKG', where the main character
suddenly 'remembers' that she is a highly trained government operative . .
. we've all been there).

I'm sure there are tons more films in the horror genre as well - what about
'Rabid' (the Cronenberg film). I can't remember if this was on your list,
but Marilyn Chambers is operated on after a near-fatal accident and it
turns her into a (highly sexualised) monster, preying on all and sundry.
Not sure whether zombie films and their variants are relevant. I seem to
remember Robin Wood (I think) not being keen on this film (and Cronenberg
in general), as it was 'misogynist'. However, I'm of the opinion that it is
quite easy to sustain a reading where it is not so much 'woman' that is the
monster in this film, but the mad scientist/patriarch's
re-presentation/remodelling of her.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting area to teach.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Ward
Lecturer in Film and Television Studies