SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
Peter Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 06:50:07 +1000
>I have not seen the documentary "Sonic Outlaws", but I recently read  an
>interesting article about it in an old New York Times issue I was perusing.
> If anyone has seen the film, I am curious what your feelings about the film
>are, particularly the appropriation and recontextualization of media imagery
>(and whether or not this technique functions as a subversive tool against the
>hegemonic "one-way media barrage").

These are the very issues that the film works with. It deals with a number
of cases of recontextualisation, and does so by constantly
recontextualising the material on which it draws. An excellent film well
wort seeing for the questions you seem interested in.

Peter Hughes

"postmodernism leaves me speechless" he said (ironically)