SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:21:15 -0400
From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
>>Unit Two - The Black experience
>>Amistad
>>The Color Purple
>>Malcolm X
>>Do the Right Thing
>
>These films don't have any direct bearing on the "experience" of any black
>person that I know, none of whom were ever slaves, revolutionaries or
>rioters to the best of my knowledge.

        I agree completely when it comes to *Amistad* and *The Color
Purple:* a film that depicts Steven Spielberg's idea of the Black
Experience.  As far as *Malcolm X* goes: it is important to know
African-American history (in the US or Japan), despite our (your) personal
acquaintances, no?  And *Malcolm* does it very well.  Lastly, where are the
rioters in *Do the Right Thing?*  Oh yes, the ones who insist on keeping
Frank Sinatra's pictures on the wall....The film depicts a cultural clash
quite effectively within a single neighborhood.  Thumbs up for
multiculturalism within the context of mainstream cinema.  I also recommend
*Mississippi Masala.*  For something less Hollywood, how about Ang Lee's
first feature, *Pushing Hands?*

        Gloria Monti

______________________________

gloria monti
director of undergraduate studies
film studies program, yale university
53 wall st., #116, new haven, CT 06510
voice mail: 203-432-0152
fax: 203-776-1928
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

"Jean-Luc Godard, that glorious nut.  No art form should be without one."
                        Newsweek, 1964

University of Alabama.