SCREEN-L Archives

December 2013, Week 2

From:
Miriam Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:17:52 +1300
Variety (and some other trade journals) have been digitised here but it is
behind a paywall so you may need to gain institutional access. I know they
gave our library a free trial.

Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive
http://www.proquest.com/en-US/catalogs/databases/detail/eima.shtml

best wishes

On Dec 13, 2013 9:06 AM, "paloma gil" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you Joe. I've used Box Office Mojo, The Numbers and IMDb and I
still have a lot of missing figures in my database. I know that some of
them are only in Variety.
> Best,
> Paloma
>
> > On Dec 12, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Joe Medjuck <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > The Website Box Office Mojo will give it to you from 1982 till  now.
> >> On Dec 9, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Paloma Gil <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am a graduate student from Paris, writing a thesis on the
distribution of
> >> concert films in the US. I am seeking advice on completing my data set.
> >>
> >> I'm finding that the majority of the figures I need (however
unreliable)
> >> can be found in the archives of Variety Weekly. I just returned from a
few
> >> weeks in New York, consulting the microfilm archives at the New York
Public
> >> Library, but had to return to Paris before I could complete my data
> >> collection.
> >>
> >> As a graduate student, I do not have the resources to pay the $600
> >> subscription fee the Variety requires for access to its archives (on
> >> varietyultimate.com). I have written to Variety to consider limited
access
> >> either *pro bono* or at a reduced rate and I am waiting to hear back.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to
> >> procure the data set. Specifically, I need to consult many Weekly
Variety
> >> editions for their chart of the Top Fifty Grossing Films of the Week
(from
> >> 1960 to the 1990's). I haven't been able to find these charts collated
into
> >> a single volume and wanted to see anyone knew if such a collection
existed.

> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> Paloma
> >>
> >> ----
> >> To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
Screen-L