SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

From:
Christopher Sheid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 21:09:24 -0600
                             FILM SURVEY
                               Parents

        My name is Christopher Sheid, and I am conducting a research project
for a class here at Valparaiso University.  My topic is the MPAA's rating
system and its effectiveness, both as a tool for informing concerned parents
about films' contents, and as a fair rating system which allows filmmakers to
show their films, uncut, in theaters.  I have already sent out two other
surveys, one for general film viewers and one for any film critics out there
(paid film critics, not wannabees like myself), but this is for parents, those
people who use the system to determine what their children watch in theaters and
on video.  If you have already answered another survey, either ignore this one
or do this one and let me know who you are so I can eliminate your other one.
Obviously, this applies only to parents.
        Also, please send this directly to my e-mail account at C460SHEID so we
don't clog up the listserve.  You may either answer the questions below only or
you may add comments.  Any elaborations are welcome and appreciated.  The
survey itself is fairly short and bare bones, in the interest of your time, but
it is self-explanatory.  The questions are answered on a 1 to 5 scale.  1 =
strongly agree, 2 = agree, 3 = neutral, 4 = disagree and 5 = strongly disagree.
        Thank you for your time and cooperation.

1.  I determine what my children view according to              1 2 3 4 5
    the MPAA ratings system

2.  I find the ratings system helpful in determining
    what films are suitable for my children.

3.  I am comfortable with others determining what is
    suitable for my children to see.

4.  I find that my idea of what is acceptable for
    my children to see often differs from that of
    the ratings board.

5.  I am concerned with the amount of violence my
    children can see in films.

6.  I am concerned with the amount of sexuality
    my children can see in films.

7.  I am concerned with the amount of language
    my children can hear in films.

8.  I am concerned with the amount of graphic,
    extreme and/or sexual violence and perverted/
    unnatural acts my children see in films.

9.  I would support an alternate ratings system that
    merely lists the content of each film without
    assigning that film a prohibitive rating.  (I.e.
    "This film contains violence, sexual situations and
    drug use.")

10.  I would support an alternate ratings system that
     measures the possibly harmful effects a film might have
     on my child, but does not prohibit anyone from seeing
     the film.  (I.e. "This film contains violence possibly
     harmful to children 3-7 years of age.  V:3-7"

11.  I would support a system whereby both R-rated and NC-17
     films are would be available in select theaters.

12.  I oppose the NC-17 film rating.

13.  I would support government censorship of films
     I deemed unsuitable for viewing.

14.  I would support the removal of any type of rating system.

            Thanks again for taking the time to complete this survey.
             Feel free to add any additional comments if you wish.