SCREEN-L Archives

August 2005, Week 3

From:
"Steven P. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:12:03 -0500
Dear colleagues:

"This is Your Life" was a famous TV program in the 1950s,  hosted by
Ralph Edwards, with a famous person's biography presented "live" each
week, supposedly as a surprise to the guest  of honor.  18  of those
quaint old episodes have now been re-released on DVD,  in a 3-disk
series called "This is Your Life - the Ultimate Collection."  So far so
good.

But unfortunately the new series of 18 episodes does not include DANNY
THOMAS, TV comic of the post-WW 2 era and humanitarian (major
supporter of the St Jude Children's Hospital).  Mr Thomas's life was
featured  on "T.I.Y.L." on 8/22/1954.  Reportedly the legendary Hungarian
film director Michael Curtiz (director of Mr Thomas in "Jazz Singer" shortly
before both appeared on "T.I.Y.L.")  was one of the guest's "friends and
family" on live camera that week, to share  memories with Mr Thomas.
Must have been quite a show!

Alas, it appears that some of the major sellers of vintage video do not
offer for sale that particular episode of "T.I.Y.L."  (Although some do offer
Laurel & Hardy and Mack Sennett.)  Any good ideas and suggestions out
there --  what private or institutional collector of antique TV shows might
have saved "This is Your  Life, Danny Thomas"?

If you wish you can reply to me directly, or to this list server.

With gratitude,
Steven P. Hill, University of Illinois.