SCREEN-L Archives

July 2005, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:04:36 -0500
Call for Proposals:

Proposals invited for a workshop at the Society for Cinema & Media
Studies conference (Vancouver, 2006): Should academic research be freely
available?

In the past 10 years, we've witnessed skyrocketing subscription prices
for academic journals--causing college libraries and scholars to cut
back on the titles they carry.

Simultaneously, we've witnessed the growth of an inexpensive
distribution system: the Internet. Some e-journals have popped up in our
field and many of them do not charge for access. Some, such as
Postmodern Culture, began as a free service and then subsequently came
to limit access to paying customers (in PMC's case, through Project Muse).

This workshop will explore the issues facing free scholarship:

    * How can a permanent archive be maintained?
    * How does one effectively index the research in free publications
and archives?
    * What free software is available to facilitate these tasks?
    * What human resources are necessary to support free, peer-reviewed
e-publication?
    * Does the price on a publication affect its prestige? Are free
publications deemed unworthy by tenure-review committees?

Work towards freely available scholarship has already been begun by
organizations such as the Public Knowledge Project and the Open Archives
Initiative. Please see their Websites for more information. We hope to
have a PKP representative attend this workshop as it is based at neaby
Simon Fraser University.

If you're interested in pariticipating in this conversation, please contact:

Jeremy Butler

jbutler {at} ua.edu

Box 870152
University of Alabama