SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Crutchfield Susan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:31:57 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

I'd like to reiterate the following call for papers for a panel proposal
for the Society for Cinema Studies conference 2001.

Anyone interested should please contact me as soon as possible with your
ideas.  A formal proposal can come (slightly) later.

Thanks--

CALL FOR PAPERS on constructions of MASCULINITY IN BARBARA STANWYCK
vehicles/publicity/fan culture.  How does Stanwyck's shifting star persona
de/stabilize masculine ideals?  How is Stanwyck "mannish" in her own right?
Looking especially for papers on a variety of Stanwyck texts, from
early comedies and melodramas, to later noir and western dramas, as well as
her role on television's "Big Valley."  Work on her industry publicity and
fan-culture--including speculations about her sexuality--is encouraged.
Everything considered.

Send proposals by snail- or e-mail to Susan Crutchfield, English
Department, University of Wisconsin at La Crosse, La Crosse, WI 54601;
[log in to unmask] Phone:  608-785-6943.  Deadline is September 11.

Susan Crutchfield
425W North Hall
Department of English
University of Wisconsin at La Crosse