SCREEN-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:06:10 +0000
Donald Larsson writes:

>I do need to go look at the film again, but as I recall, there are 2
>distinct cuts in ROPE, which would mean that there are 3 "shots" in the
>film.  The interesting thing is that the actual cuts seemed far less
>obvious than the track to bookshelf device used to cover the reel
>changes that Leo mentions.

I, too, would have to look at the film again (not to mention various
Hitchcock literature).  But I'm pretty sure that those cuts are not
supposed to be there, and that they were introduced either when some
footage was pruned to find the film into a TV broadcast slot or due to
censorship.  I can remember one of the cuts I think you mean, from viewing
an off-air tape of the film a couple of years ago.  After the guests have
all gone and James Stewart is trying to extract the confession from Farley
Granger, there is what almost looks like a cut to a reverse shot from his
POV.  It would be totally unremarkable in any other film, but in that
context it sticks out like a sore thumb.

http://www.ScreenSite.org