SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1992 15:23:29 EST
There is a recent book out that may be of interest to those wishing
to trade "bootleg" tapes:  Enterprising Women by Camille Bacon-Smith,
University of Pennsylvania Press.  It's about fans of Star Trek and
other TV shows who make and trade (and even creatively alter) tapes
of certain shows; they also write fiction based on characters in the
shows.  The author suggests that they get away with this activity
because none of them make any money off it.  Some fan groups are
seen by the industry as asset even.  The book raises lots of interesting
questions for me, not just about intellectual property laws but also
about uses/effects of the media, etc.  I highly recommend it.
Pam Inglesby
University of Pennsylvania