SCREEN-L Archives

November 2007, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:24:48 -0500
From:
Luis Figueroa <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
I strongly suggest that you take a look at David Riker's "La
Ciudad" (USA, 1998, which is essentially a collection of longish
shorts focused on Latin@s in NY City. It's usually a winner with my
students in both film and Latin@ studies courses, especially the
story of the lost Puebla immigrant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168589/

Luis Figueroa
Trinity College
Hartford, CT

On Nov 19, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Leo Aristimuno wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
> I am looking for films (especially shorts) informed by/about the
> experiences of recent immigrants. More specifically, I'm looking
> for films where the urban context plays a dominant role in shaping
> these experiences.
>
> Next term, I am teaching an advanced UG video production course
> where my students will work in collaboration with an urban
> journalism class to explore the stories of Blooomfield Avenue, a
> major thoroughfare in North Newark populated by a large, relatively
> new Latino community. In the course of the term, my students will
> produce fictional shorts inspired by stories and events from the
> community and the journalism students will write reports from the
> same.
>
> The films I seek will serve as examples of works where the urban
> experience provides a context for stories of immigration and will
> be shown to students early in the semester. I would be particularly
> interested in films distributed online.
>
> For those interested, the works will be presented though a web site
> next summer.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Leo Aristimuno
> Assistant Professor
> Video Production and Media Studies
> Rutgers University - Newark

> Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
> See how.
>
> ----
> For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives:
> http://bama.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org