SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 11:05:44 -0500
Gloria Monti responds:

>         Anthony Rocha writes:
>
> >I am not excusing people who don't treat people with respect but the
> >immigration at LAX is overwhelmed.
>
>         Overwhelmed?  It's their job.  It is as if I were to say that
> I am overwhelmed because this year I am teaching seven courses
> without TAs.  It's my job.  Should I keep some out of the classroom
> because I am overwhelmed?  Really.

No.  But, with all due respect, if a student came to you just now, told
you that s/he had never registered for the class, had not paid tuition,
but had attended consistently and should receive credit for the class,
how would you respond (especially since that student would have added
to your already heavy load)?  What if that student refused to have a
photo ID taken, to pay tuition, or to coooperate in any other way, but
insisted on getting the credit anyway? How would your administration
respond?

>         That was it?
>         I have not returned to my home country since and have been
> doing all my paperwork from inside the US over the last four years.
> Here's something that US citizens might not be aware of.  A visa
> granted to a foreign national by the INS *in this country* does not
> carry any weight once they leave the US.  They have to go to the US
> consulate in their home country and reapply for a visa that has
> already been granted.  As I mentioned above, the Consul has complete
> discretion and authority over this matter, therefore, if he feels
> that something is not to his liking, he can deny a visa that has
> already been approved.  And his judgment is final.  Therefore, I am
> locked inside the US because I cannot let a petty little bureaucrat
> who lives in my hometown jeopardize my life and my work in this
> country.

I'm not quite clear about how this corresponds to the case in question,
but unfortunately it's not too unusual a situation.  A recent case in
point: a graduate student here, Malaysian by birth, was on a
school-sponsored bicycle tour of Africa with an American friend.  The
trip started in Egypt and they wished to go through Libya.  The student
had received clearance and a visa from Libya, but when they went to the
Libyan embassy in Cairo to try to get a visa for the American, they
were both refused.  They continued their journey, but did not go to
Libya.

Don Larsson
Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230