SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

Sender:
From:
"John E. Magee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 10:31:04 CST
In Message Tue, 18 Jan 1994 05:46:16 EST,
  Missy Price <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I think that the point that you are missing is the fact that _Driving
>Miss Daisy_ is set in the South.  There is a clash of 'Jewishness' and
>being Southern, there is also the relationship between Miss Daisy and
>her driver who are _both_ not accepted into Southern 'society', he because
>he is black and she because she is Jewish.

I don't know if it is real, or just a movie technique, but it seems that
southern society is not accepting of anyone but WASPS.  I'm not from the
south so I don't know much about it, but it is  displayed in movies, tv, and
literature, now and in the past, as a very close minded almost offensively
selective culture that judges not on who you are, but where you come from.
It's a failing I see in movies much of the time.  It reminds me of what
people assumed of me coming to school in the midwest being a "east coast
jew" as we are called out here