SCREEN-L Archives

July 1998, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:54:21 -0500
Lucy Holman requests:

> I'm somewhat of a neophyte in this area and would like some help.  Can
> anyone recommend 2-3 journals that offer film criticism and commentary?
>
> thanks

Lucy,
It depends on what you're looking for.  You can find interesting
mainstream commentary (often on non-mainstream films) by various
reviewers (Jay Hoberman in the Village Voice) and others.  Then there
are mainstream film journals aimed at a fairly wide audience--FILM
COMMENT and the British SIGHT AND SOUND among them.

More academic commentary (and scholarship) can be found in a wide range
of diverse journals--CINEMA JOURNAL (published by Society for Cinema
Studies), WIDE ANGLE, FILM QUARTERLY all publish interesting and
usually accessible work.  THE VELVET LIGHT TRAP is published by
graduate students and is often lively and engaging.  For feminist
analysis, see CAMERA OBSCURA.  For other politically-edged commentary,
see JUMP CUT and CINEASTE, among others.

Finally, check out the ScreenSite website
        http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite/

for further leads.

I hope these are useful for a starting place.

Don Larsson