SCREEN-L Archives

February 2001, Week 2

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:37:00 -0500
The 1946 Tay Garnett/John Garfield/Lana Turner version of "Postman" is
available on video - likely in the "classics" section/listing. There are
other film versions of the basic triangle "kill the husband" plot, such as
Double Indemnity (1944) and Body Heat (1981) - both excellent examples of
film noir. The basic difference in the depiction of the classic and neo film
noir femme fatale is the relaxation of film censorship over the years,
mainly the gradual demise of the Hollywood Production Code sections relating
to sex and violence. The Code was in full force during the forties, the
heyday of classic film noir. For instance, compare the seduction scene in
the 1946 and 1981 versions of "Postman". My advice is to find a good book on
Film Noir - there are quite a few around. It's really too big a subject to
cover comprehensively via email.
Peter Warren