SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 18:28:22 CST
On Sat, 15 Jan 1994 15:51:54 EST Don Ulin said:
>e-mail address of the person who sent the message.  SO, if the
>list owner could alter the settings in such a way that replies to
>messages would go only to the original sender, we could probably
>cut down on a lot of excess mail.  Anyone wanting to send a message
>to the whole list could still do so but would have to enter the
>e-mail address for the list.  I know this is possible because it
>was done on another list that I subscribe to.

Yep, Don, this is entirely possible in the world of LISTSERV.  I've
resisted doing it so far, however, because I figured it'd just put
another impediment up to free and spontaneous discussion.

If REPLYing to a SCREEN-L message automatically sent it to the
person who posted the message then one would have to use FORWARD
(to [log in to unmask]) in order to send in a "reply".

I think this could lead to confusion...and besides, I wouldn't be
able to quote messages with those cute little greater-than signs
(>) if I used FORWARD.  ;-)

And beyond this REPLY/FORWARD confusion...

Several folks I know who are uncomfortable with the Internet do *all*
of their correspondance by REPLYing 'cause they're not entirely sure
how to address a message.

I'll accede to the wishes of the group, however.  If you feel one way
or the other about REPLY vs. FORWARD, drop me a note at:

(This could serve as a little test of the whole problem right here...)

P.S.  If you find your e-mailbox becoming too cluttered you might consider
changing your SCREEN-L subscription to DIGEST.  When set to DIGEST,
all of a day's SCREEN-L messages will be collected and sent to you in
a single package.

      A girl should not expect special privileges because of her sex, but
      neither should she "adjust" to prejudice and discrimination.  She must
      learn to compete...not as a woman, but as a human being.
                                            --Betty Naomi Friedan

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |