SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:31:28 -0600
Lisa Barry writes:

> As a new scholar, preparing to
> enter the world of publishing or perishing, I must admit that I am
> unsettled about this, especially given a recent response I received on
> another list to which I subscribe.  A CFP was sent out for a journal issue
> that will be devoted to film analyses, and another list member replied with
> a comment to the effect that "this must surely be a parody, right?  This is
> a joke, right?"  I responded with a discussion of the legitimacy of film
> studies, and suggested that the other member's response might be somewhat
> elitist.  Immediately, several other "speech" scholars denigrated film
> studies as somehow less scholarly than the study of traditional public
> address.  Fortunately, I received several private replies encouraging me to
> continue with my studies, and there were even a few public responses
> supporting my position.  Of course the original "attackers" and their
> supporters chimed in en masse.

As academics, we often fail to recognize--much less confess--the depths
of our own ignorance.  I once submitted a proposal to the NEH dealing
with Hitchcock.  The reviewers' comments I received began by noting
heated discussion over whether film was part of the "humanities" at all
(even though it's cited in the NEH's literature) and whether Hitchcock
had any importance in film studies!  (Fortunately, the discussion was
shifted to the merits of the proposal itself--which I admit did need
work; I profitted by *those* comments.)

Many years ago, as an undergraduate, I wrote a paper in which I
mentioned in passing that Edgar Allen Poe had "invented" the form of
the classic detective story.  The professor wrote a snide, derogatory
comment that not only showed his ignorance of Poe but that the Mystery
Writers of America give an annual "Edgar" Award that is a bust of Poe.
I never called him on it--and I've regretted it ever since!

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite