SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1993 11:39:28 EDT
*
*     Yesterday we set an all-time record for messages on SCREEN-L.  So many
*     were posted that we exceeded our daily limit of 50 and I had to unlock
*     the list manually before any more were sent.
*
*     This brings up a question I've been considering for some time:
*
*     Should SCREEN-L be moderated?

I think a large portion of the overload is due to the fact that most people's
servers send replies to SCREEN as opposed to the sender. Thus, a reply that
might best go to the sender only has tended to get sent to the whole list.

In my system, if you type h, you get a full header with the sender's address.
Keeping replies that are straddling the line of possible public interest from
going to SCREEn might reduce the flow.

I would like to avoid moderation if at all possible. What often ain't germane
is often still interesting.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm a Christian, and my ears are not
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |garbage cans.