SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:09:58 -0600
J Roberson writes:
"However, I think that Tarantino is aware of what his movies brings up, but
rather than ask questions and answer them, he just presents us with the
images and lets us ask & answer the questions. That's the mark of a good
writer and filmmaker."

Why not say instead that Tarantino is just yanking our chains (violence!
interracial sex! drugs!  homosexual sadists!)?  He knows that these are
controversial subjects and he's willing to exploit those controveries for
their own sake.  Whether his goal is to open public discussion (which I
rather doubt) or manipulate audience emotion (which I rather suspect),
he's doing an effective job, to judge from the discussions here.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN