SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:57:09 +0000
Dear All,

What about instances of the romantic struggling artist in music video?
There are so many examples:  hip-hop videos often show performers with their
newly acquired status symbols - they rap about the trials of getting to
where they presently are, or they are shown stuck "in the street"; rock
stars suddenly fill stage arenas, touched by talent and a happy break;
singer/songwriters struggle to compose on their instruments or to make it on
the road.  On its own, a setting can suggest an artist's travails.  An
upper- or lower-class environment can make us wonder where the artist has
been and where she would like to go.  I've been working on music video
directors. Strong directors often have personal ways of representing
artistic struggle and genius. For example, Dave Meyers's stars are so
imposing they could be national monuments.  They're bewitching.  The
supporting characters, on the other hand, resemble stunted versions of the
stars; they have failed to climb the social ladder.  One could argue that
the representations of artistry and "making it" in music video share
something with the tropes found in the musical, so well described by Jane
Feuer and Rick Altman.

Carol Vernallis