SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 15:05:53 -0700
Cam Williams recently asked about Alice Guy Blache's films on video.  The
Media Center at our library recently bought a series of videos I think
would be of interest to anyone who works with American silents.  The
series is called _The Library of Congress Video Collection_, and it has a
cassette on women filmmakers (Blache and Lois Weber), two of early
african-american filmmakers, and three others on the beginnings of
gangster, fantasy, and animated film.  A detailed review appears in the
May 16, 1994 Library of Congress Information Bulletin ("The Library of
Congress Video Collection:  Joint Project Makes Rare Films Widely
Available," 191-195; see also "Take 2:  Restoring Old Films," 196-197,
and bibliography/filmography, 197-199).  The main article says that most
of Blache's work, including all of her feature-length films, is lost. The
LC collection includes her one-reel "Matrimony's Speed Limit" (1913) and
"A House Divided" (1913).  The cassettes are supposed to be available
through American International Distribution Corp, (800) 669-1559,
Smithsonian Video, 64 Depot Road, Colchester, VT 05446, and in
Smithsonian museum shops, etc.
The new series from Kino, _The Movies Begin_, with restored stuff from
Melies, Porter, et al, also looks good, but I don't think it has any Blache.