SCREEN-L Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
"Steven P. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:56:13 -0500
Dear colleagues:

As my class has been looking at some of Michael Curtiz's vintage
action pictures, like "Charge of the Light Brigade" (Warners '36),
I 've been trying to recall what I'd once read about a Hollywood
stuntmen's technique or device which (if memory serves) was
called "running W" (?).   Or am I mis-remembering that
colloquialism?

That was the technique, supposedly banned in the US around
1939, that had been used to trip horses racing forward at
breakneck speed -- throwing head-first into the dirt both
horse and rider, sometimes with rather painful results (to
put it mildly).  Not surprising for a Curtiz film, I suppose.
Curtiz was notorious for  his rough treatment of everybody
-- cast, crew, animals.  I'd guess that "Charge of the Light
Brigade" in the Curtiz oeuvre may have run second only to
 "Noah's Ark" (1928) in the number of casualties and even
fatalities (to man and beast) that happened in the action
scenes. Or did Killer Curtiz exceed even "Noah" and
"Brigade" in some other rough action picture of his?

To refresh my rusty memory on the matter of "horse tripping,"
I did a web search, not very successfully.  There were many
references to "running W," but if any referred to Curtiz and/or
"Light Brigade," I must have missed them.  I did find an
informative page (attached below) about the legislative
turning point occurring in 1939, due to the killing of one
horse in "Jesse James" (that equine was pitched over a cliff).

Given what must have been an enormous discrepancy between
ONE dead horse in "Jesse James," and arguably DOZENS of dead
horses in "Light Brigade,"  3 years earlier, I can only guess that
some magazine must have published a colorful article about the
spectacular technique that killed the one horse in "Jesse James."
That would offer one possible explanation of what incurred
the wrath of the American Humane Association (AHA) -- and
led to the new rules of 1939.  I can only speculate that if a
similar article had been published about all the dead horses
in "Light Brigade" (and the "running W," or whatever was used
to trip them up),  the AHA crackdown might well  have occurred
a few years earlier...

What follows is a slightly one-sided, but still informative,
excerpt from the web-site site of the International Fund for
Horses, which I did find in my web search. -- Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.
__ __ _ __ __ __ _ __ __ __ _ __ __ __

The International Fund 4 Horses :
http://www.fund4horses.org/print.php?id=129

Horses in Film: Abused for Entertainment?
By Kelly Chase

[ .... ] Animal Rights have not always been in existence; therefore, many animals
have been abused, injured, and killed during the making of movies. Some of the
most heinous cases of animal abuse and neglect noted in filmmaking involve
horses.  [ .... ] Their presence in period films is necessary to make the productions
historically accurate. Nearly two hundred horses were used during the filming of
the chariot race scene in the 1925 Fred Niblo film, "Ben-Hur" [MGM]. Fortunately, it
was reported that not a single horse was injured. This would probably relate more
to luck than a deliberate attempt by anyone to ensure the safety of the animals.
Many of the horses used in Westerns were not so lucky.

It is not surprising that so many horses were injured or killed during the making of
Westerns, considering what horses were subjected to. In her book "West of
Everything," Jane Tompkins discusses what horses endured, in Western films, for
the sake of entertainment [ .... ]    What horses endured in Westerns is similar to
that which the heroes themselves endured, with one exception; the horses were
not acting voluntarily.

The American Humane Association (AHA) has fought for animal rights since 1877,
but it was not until the tragic death of a horse, during the filming of the 1939
Henry King film, " Jesse James" [20th-Cen. Fox]. that the AHA was given legal
rights to monitor the treatment of animals in films. The horse in question was
forced to jump off a cliff into a raging river. The device used to make the horse fall
was a slippery platform called a ‘tilt shute,’ which when tilted up forced the horse
to slip off the cliff. This is just one of the many cruel methods utilized in the
movies to force animals to fall against their will.

The public was outraged and demanded action. This prompted the Motion Picture
Association of America (MPAA) to grant the AHA legal rights to set guidelines and
to monitor the treatment of animals on movie sets. The contract fell under the
administration of the Hayes Office, which had the responsibility of setting the
standards and practices of film making during that time. Unfortunately, in 1966
the Supreme Court dissolved the Hayes Office, ruling that their practices
constituted censorship. This meant that film companies no longer had to abide by
the regulations protecting animals that had been set by the AHA.

From 1966 to 1980 the American Humane Association tried to monitor the
treatment of movie animals, but since film companies were no longer legally
bound to have them there, they often refused to allow the AHA on their production
sets. Gina Barrett, former Director of the Western Regional Office of the American
Humane Association, stated, "During that period of time, frankly, animal abuse in
film making grew again."

Unfortunately, it took the death of another horse before reform was finally brought
about, and animal rights were reinstated. During the filming of the 1979 Michael
Cimino film, Heaven’s Gate, a horse was severely injured when explosives were
placed underneath its saddle, and the animal had to be euthanized. So, in 1980,
the entertainment industry granted the AHA sole authority to protect animals used
in film through a contract with the Screen Actors Guild. [ .... ]