SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
Jennifer Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 02:56:21 -0700
It is my personal opinion that the title and ending have the following
meanings:

1:  Ending

        The film itself is not so much about violence as it is about the
responce that society makes to violence.  As you will recall, Alex's
views of his victims earlier in the film is that it was their choice to
become victims.  Later, when Alex is made incapable of being anything
except a victim, he is unable to adjust to the very real psychological
problems which come with being a victim.

        The film dwells extensively on choices made by individuals and
society as a whole.  It presents us with questions like :  Is
robbing a criminal of their humanity & individuality an appropriate
punishment?  Should authorities be permitted to sexually harrass
criminals, such as in the scene with Alex & Mr. Deltoid??  And, How much
invasiveness into an individuals privacy is permissable in the name of
crime control??? (i.e., the arbitrary search of Alex's property).

It is very easy to look at the surface of an individuals world and
condemn them.  Religeous groups in the U.S.A. do this all the time.  But
this was never the purpose of Clockwork Orange.  Perhaps the look into
Alex's world is a bit more graphic than most would like, but it is
because it is that it still finds acceptance today.

2:  Title

        " A Clockwork Orange " is clearly a title chosen in an attempt to
convey a symbolic preview into the films contents. " A Clockwork " refers
to an event which happens over a period of time (Clock) which is an
intentional effort (Work).  The word "Orange" refers to the fact that
this intentional effort has been colored in some way, with a degree of
passion which is believed to be acceptable.  Of course, that's just my
opinion, I could be wrong...awww, fuck it...who wan't pie??  :)

Jennie