SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
RON CURTIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 11:36:21 CST
To be frank, I haven't been watching the AC series, however I have
been surveying the commentary on it appearing here.  One of the
interesting elements I've noticed in the discussion is the lack
of a sense of critical investigation of American films as a
pervasive force in global culture, or a sense that perhaps American
films reflect a particular American value system and world view. I
could be wrong in this and if I am please let me know.

The lack of a level of critical self-analysis in the series would
not surprise me, since I've noticed that while the media tend to
be proficient in critical investigation of much in society (at least
to a certain extent), it is very deficient at self-examination.

Would anyone care to suggest some evidence to the contrary for me
to pursue?  One series that did seem to be quite good at this was
the Moyers documentary called, I think, _The Public Mind_.

Ron Curtis