SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 03:23:23 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Tim Bergfelder
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Jennifer Taylor writes:
>>I think children should be kept from watching certain shows. Violence on
>>TV directly causes violent behavior.
>Since justification for this claim comes purely from anecdotal  evidence (as is
> usual in these
>cases), let me reply with my own story:
>Between the ages of 9 and 12 me and my friends used to watch (unbeknown to our
> parents) a
>number of extremely gory and sadistic horror videos

I too used to sneak down stairs and switch the telly on and drink in all
sorts of nasty horror films and pictures, where people were always being
hounded to gory deaths by axe murderes, demons, witches, monsters,
mummies and vampires.  Best bit was if some *sex* slipped in as well.
Golly gosh wow!

Nastier the death, the better.  Family were horrified when they found
out later what I'd been watching all my 'formative' years...

From the anecdotal evidence might I suggest such exposure at such an
early age results in the perversion of Film Studies as a career, rather
than mass murder?

And for seem reason a desire to study in Norwich... which says it all,
really.

;-)

Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu.  "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite