SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 2

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:30:46 -0500
8bit
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Coppola certainly broke ground for him in Vietnam with APOCALYPSE NOW.
JFK's style and tone derive from the paranoid thriller neo-films noirs
of the early 1970s--especially Alan Pakula's THE PARALLAX VIEW.  The
underlying "conspiracy" is strongly similar to that in EXECUTIVE ACTION
(1974), which was based on a script by conspiracy theorist Mark Lane.
His later films, such as NATURAL BORN KILLERS and NIXON, are more
self-consciously "experimental" (use of multiple film stocks, matting
non-diegetic materials, etc.) that perhaps reflect his own avowed
admiration for Godard and Bunuel (although his films are still quite
unlike theirs).  There also seems to be self-conscious imitation of
David Lynch in NBK and his TV mini-series WILD PALMS.

Don Larsson