SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 1

From:
Kirkpatrick Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:28:09 -0500
On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:41, Jonathan Frome wrote:

> To pull clips from a DVD on a PC (from DVDs for which you own
> copyright, obviously):

Hi Jonathan,

I don't think your parenthetical is exactly correct.  As previously
discussed on this list, the copyright office has issued an exception
to the DMCA (the law that makes it a crime to circumvent anti-copy
protections):  if the copyrighted work is in the educational library
of a film or media studies department, professors may circumvent copy
protections in order to assemble clips for educational purposes.

In other words, most people on this list do not need to own the
copyright for the DVD from which they are pulling clips.  Of course,
I would be interested in how broadly the copyright office defines
"library" and "professor."  (And, for that matter, "educational,"
"film," "media studies," and "department.")

But it is certainly not limited to the works for which you hold
copyrights.  For the specific exemption, see http://www.copyright.gov/
1201/.

--Bill

Bill Kirkpatrick