SCREEN-L Archives

October 2003, Week 2

From:
"Paul N. Reinsch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:45:17 -0700
the audio commentary by Cameron Crowe for his film _Almost Famous_
reveals that in a conversation between William Miller (Patrick Fugit)
and Penny Lane (Kate Hudson), Miller's nearly whispered line "say that
again" is in fact the actor (Fugit) imploring Hudson to repeat her
line.  here an "error" is recuperated to reveal character (in a manner
similar to the  _Being There_ example others have mentioned).  in the
absence of the director's commentary, the moment will likely be read as
an element of Fugit's perfomance.

-Paul Reinsch
PhD student
University of Southern California