SCREEN-L Archives

May 2008, Week 3

From:
Patricia Aufderheide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 10:49:24 -0400
This is such a rich discussion, so many great books I haven't read yet!
Because my latest book is so new, I'm daring to mention it to the
group--I've already mentioned it to Jim. It's Documentary Film: A Very
Short Introduction (Oxford U Press). It just came out in Jan., and has
garnered some nice mentions. I like Michael Rabiger's comment:
"This is the first book about documentary I've encountered that tackles
its identity, history, evolution, and major controversies enjoyably and in
brief. I marvel at how much ground Pat Aufderheide covers and the clarity
she brings to documentary's many functions, paradoxes, and contradictions.
Maybe religion alone has more."
It's one of those tiny little books in the Oxford Very Short Intro series,
160 pp and $9.95.
If you need a desk copy or a review copy, I'd be happy to arrange.

Pat Aufderheide, Professor and Director
Center for Social Media, School of Communication
American University
3201 New Mexico Av. NW, #395
Washington, DC 20016-8080
www.centerforsocialmedia.org
202-885-2069

"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
05/19/2008 11:03 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [SCREEN-L] Books about film

Because so much of film involves narrative, some materials on narrative
structure and narratology would seem to be necessary.  One of the best -
distinguished by its clarity and modesty - is Seymour Chatman's Story
and discourse: Narrative structure in fiction and film, Cornell
University Press. (1993).  And because the role of "interpretation"  has
emerged as a particularly vexed question, Susan Sontag's  essay "Against
Interpretation" would seem to be required, if only because it explores
"The fact that films have not been overrun by interpreters"  -- or at
least that seemed to be the case in the prelapsarian year of 1963.

mike