SCREEN-L Archives

October 2003, Week 5

From:
Toby Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:07:17 +0100
Hi

This is a call for papers. I'm editing a new journal for Sage Publications,
called Television & New Media. Its focus is textual analysis, political
economy, cultural history, policy advocacy, and audience ethonography--a
television studies/cultural studies/media studies approach to the subject.
The first issue will be out in March 2000. Associate editors are Herman
Gray, John Hartley, and Lynn Spigel.

The average issue of T&NM will include an 'In Focus' segment for papers
that can loosely be grouped together, as well as two segments designed for
a rapid response to new policy, textual, and other matters (an 'Editorial'
and a 'Prime Time' section) where the editor and other scholars will engage
with critical issues of the day. In addition, each issue will feature book
reviews. The overall shape is:

a) Editorial
b) In Focus
c) Book Reviews
d) Prime Time

There will be some theme issues (the past, present, and future of studying
TV; digitalisation; active audiences; cable and satellite issues; pedagogy;
interdisciplinary matters; globalisation; race, gender, class, and nation).

We want papers in English, using Harvard-style reference, submitted with
three hard copies and an IBM-compatible disk. No electronic submission,
though email inquiries are welcome. For 'In Focus,' papers may be up to
8000 words. For 'Prime Time,' they should be no longer than 25000 words.

The address for submissions follows my signature.

Cheers

Toby

Toby Miller
Department of Cinema Studies