SCREEN-L Archives

August 2003, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:24:07 -0500
The LA Times has published a group of letters--both pro and con--regarding
David Weddle's attack on film theory.  Here's Edward Branigan's response
(below).

Also in the piece is Garner Simmons' characterization of semiotics as
flatulent, self-serving, over-intellectualized, pretentious nonsense (his
words, not mine).  Simmons, like Weddle, is a biographer of Sam
Peckinpah.  The two participated in the audio commentary on the STRAW DOGS DVD.