SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 16:49:06 EDT
On Mon, 24 Oct 1994 10:18:45 -0500 Jajasoon Tlitteu said:

>If race is so insignificant in this film, what other Hollywood pictures can
>you think of recently that feature a black man / white woman couple
>prominently?  Besides Jungle Fever, I think it's pretty rare.

Of course the most prominent and pervasive "Hollywood picture" of the
past few months -- the one about the football/media star, the murdered
trophy wife, and the four-wheel-drive vehicle -- has concerned exactly
this scenario.  Okay, so it's not a movie anyone had to go out to a
theatre to see.  But it does suggest (as if it needed suggestion) the
significance of racial difference in contemporary cultural discourse,
which extends all the way (not all that far, really) to Pulp Fiction.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6