SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 09:00:49 CST
Author:  JARROD W CALLIHAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    12/12/94 1:56 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Well, I finally found two of the Schoolhouse Rock collections on video and
I must say they're a blast.  The Grammar Rock collection is suppurb.  It's
songs are fun and supprisingly clever.  The History Rock collection, however,
is marred by self-important, sappy melodies that are more often than not
closer to country that to rock.  (Two exceptions to this case are the extremely
entertaining _Mother Necessity_ and _Suffering Until Sufferage_.  _I'm Just A
Bill_ is o.k. too but the song is much more predictable than the other two and
 sounds unfinished.  _The Great Melting Pot_ is a victim of the forementioned
melodrama but it is somehow touching enough not to be disdaneful.)
If you grew up in the seventies with your head to the television and Saturday
mornings meant something big to you, you might want to check them out.
Avoid the ones with Cloris Leechman tho'.  Play them at parties to date
everone.

Jarrod