SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
Rick Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 11:16:25 -0400
On Friday, October 21, 1994, Stu L. ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, Rick Douglas wrote:
>

>> In the end, the advantage which United/Paramount enjoys over >WB, and also
the
>> advantage which ABC had over DuMont, is greater broadcasting >ties.  ABC,
>> unlike DuMont, had a radio network, not to mention five
>owned-and-operated
>> radio stations, and ABC was able to use its radio ties as a selling >point
>> prospective affiliates rather effectively.  Fast forward to 1994, and >we
see
>> that the partners in the United/Paramount Network -- Paramount, >its new
>> parent Viacom, and Chris-Craft -- together own 19 television >stations and
12
>> radio stations, whereas Time Warner has no broadcast interests
>whatsoever.
>
>Depends what you mean by broadcast.  Time-Warner certainly has >a
>presence.

What I meant by "broadcast" and "broadcasting" in that message was
terrestrial, over-the-air television and radio.  While Time Warner has
extensive interests in cable television, both as an MSO and as the owner or
part-owner of several cable channels, and is also a major player in
television production and syndication, the company does not own any
over-the-air television or radio stations.  I hope this clears things up.

Rick Douglas :)