SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:05:53 +0000
Scott Hutchins asks:

>Now that I'm this close to getting a scriptwriting job (albeit not a very
>artistic one) that pays $30,000 a year, I'd like to invest in a DVD
>player.  Does anyone know where to get multiformat DVD players?  I know
>they exist.

I don't think they exist officially, but most single region players can
easily be doctored in order to diable the zoning restrictions.  In the case
of my Sony, it was simply a question of soldering across two links on an
IC.  Any amateur video enthusiasts' magazine will give details both of
websites that tell you how to do the work yourself, and of dealers who will
sell you machines that they've doctored for you.

Be warned though: doctoring a machine or buying a doctored one is not
illegal (not under UK law, at least), but the moment you've faffed about
with its innards any manufacturer's warranty ceases to exist.  The reason
the zoning systems are usually very easy to disable is that they were only
implemented by equipment manufacturers with great reluctance, under
pressure from the major Hollywood studios who were (and still are) worried
about piracy.  Basically, the zoning system is a token gesture rather than
a serious attempt at security.

Leo Enticknap
Technical Manager
City Screen Cinemas (York) Ltd..
Coney St., York YO1 9QL.
United Kingdom
Telephone: 01904 612940 (work); 01904 673207 (home); 0410 417383 (mobile)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]