SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:17:39 +0000
On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:19:38 +0800 John Forde
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am writing a research project on Michael Ondaatje's novel "the English
> Patient" and its adaptation into a movie screenplay. As the film has only
> just been released in New Zealand, there is not a great deal of material on
> either Ondaatje or the Minghella film here. Can anyone help? Specifically,
> I am interested in accessing academic writings on the film, but I would
> also be keen to read American and other reviews of the film/adaptation, or
> to see what the critical in-crowd (New York Times etc) have to say about
> it. Please send any references, addresses or lists of websites etc to me at
> the address below (or should that be 'above'?)

It's only just come out in Britain too (on Friday in fact).  There's a
critical review in the March issue of "Sight and Sound", the main point of
which is that playing down (cf. Ondaatje's book) the misegenous relationship
between Juliette Binoche and the Sikh bomb disposal expert indicates that
the film can be read primarily as your typical Brit "heritage film", the
idea being to pick up a few Oscars for all those pretty pictures and stiff
upper lips.

Leo Enticknap
Univ. of Exeter, UK