SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

Sender:
From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 16:51:50 -0400
Carol Goodson, Coordinator/Off-Campus Library Services, WEST GEORGIA
COLLEGE wrote:

>***all of this points up the fact that the Internet is not yet (and maybe
>never will be) a full substitute for a library.

Right.

>If you believe what you
>read about it, the Internet is the answer to every information need....

No, I don't believe everything I read about...anything. Do you?

>Your misconceptions about the Information Superhighway are shared by our
>clientele also, who are more and more beginning to assume that they will soon
>never have to set foot in this building again.....  I'm sorry, but I don't
>think that will happen in our lifetime....

O.K., maybe our concepts about the nature of information are going to
change, like when the printing press superseded oral history, and
television superseded literacy of any kind. In the meantime, I suppose your
job is safe. Let's hope...

David Smith
(902)454-3087
"Multimedia Design Studio"*--
http://www.isisnet.com/dsmith/index.html

*Use Netscape Navigator 2.0bn (Mac) at my recommended settings
--non-Mac users may experience severe formatting anomalies.