SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 14:57:09 EDT
Coincidentally, I was just talking with one of Benning's colleagues
at California Institute of the Arts yesterday.  James teaches there,
so you should be able to reach him there.  (The address is 24700 McBean
Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355, and the phone is 805 255 1050 or 805
253 7825.)

I know that his films are distributed in Canada by the Canadian Filmmakers
Distribution Centre in Toronto (though that's not much help), and I
thought they might be available through one of the coops, Canyon or
Film-Makers', but they're not in the most recent catalogues.  As I
recall, they're with another boutique, commercial distributor -- maybe
New Line.

Used Innocence is a terrific picture.  I'm surprised that it didn't
surface when the story of Lawrencia Bembenek, and her ultimate release,
was in the news, or when the TV movies appeared.  I remember reading
about the inevitable sale of her story, and found no mention that she
had already "collaborated" (by providing a voice track) on a film about
her story, and there is no mention at all of Benning and his project in
her book, Woman on Trial.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6