SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Ed Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:29:30 -0400
on 8/16/00 6:14 PM, Timothy Shary at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> For contemporary voyeurism, I think no one examines the issue
> better than Atom Egoyan, although his last few films have moved away from
> the topic.  But "Family Viewing" (1987), "Speaking Parts" (1989), and
> "Exotica" (1994) are all quite compelling, and students respond to them in
> passionate ways (well, "Exotica" has quite a bit of nudity, so it may be a
> bit TOO provocative).  A lot has been written on Egoyan and his voyeurism
> themes, including an article I published in Film Criticism in 1995.

This brings up an interesting question, specifically for those that teach
film.  Are your film selections guided by a consideration for the
sensibilities of your intended audience?  One time in particular, I was
approached by a student at the beginning of the semester and informed of her
aversion to anything R-rated.  I worked with the student to come up with
alternative films for the three in question, but wonder to what extent this
sort of practice should be employed.  I'd be interested in hearing of others
with similar experiences and how you handled them, as well as what your
feelings are towards providing alternatives (or even designing the class
around such issues in the first place).

Ed