SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Arnt Maasø <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:19:25 +0100
Ellen B. Edgerton posted the web-adress to a list of music used in
trailers. I found the list interesting, and made a quick 'word-count' of
the music used. Of the 445 trailers on the list, 13 peices of music (2.9%)
were used in 115 trailers (25.8% of all). I find it interesting to see the
pretty vast recycling of film music that evedently "works". From a quick
glimpse it also seems that the kind of 'iconic' music peices being -- at
least my mind -- very tightly connected to a specific movie (like "Star
Wars") are seldom used in other trailers. I also find it interesting to
note the recycling of both Beethoven's 9th and Carl Orffs Carmina Burana.
For those that might be interested in the 13 peices that can be heard on
roughly 1/4 of the trailers, here they are:

Aliens (used in 14 trailers, other than the Alien-movies)
Carl Orff: Carmina Burana (11 trailers)
Mississippi Burning (11 trailers)
The Rocketeer (10 trailers)
Black Rain (9 trailers)
Backdraft (9 trailers)
Beethoven: 9th symphony (8 trailers)
The Fugitive (8 trailers)
Crimson Tide (8 trailers)
Terminator 2 (7 trailers)
Speed (5 trailers + Cruise Control)
Stargate (5 trailers)
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (5 trailers)
The Abyss (5 trailers)

My personal favorite, though, is Flipper (1996) with trailer music from
Jaws...;-)

Arnte

Arnt Maasų, Research Fellow

Department of Media and Communication
University of Oslo, Faculty of Arts

Blindernveien 11
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway
Telephone: +47 22 85 04 19 Telefax: +47 22 85 04 01
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.media.uio.no/ansatte/arnt.maaso/