SCREEN-L Archives

January 2006, Week 3

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:35:08 -0600
Happy 2006,

We just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture is out. This issue features columns by Tim
Anderson, John Hartley, David Hesmondhalgh, Megan Mullen, and Diane Negra.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Let's Get Small: The Year When the Record Industry Broke and Listeners Became
Crazy, Mixed Up, Downloading, File-Sharing Freaks" by Tim Anderson:
As digital music sources expanded both their catalogues and user bases in 2005,
music distribution continues its shift from the record store to the download
store.

"Speaking to Each Other at Last? The Ghost of TV Past, Present and To Come…" by
John Hartley:
A look backwards at the role of television scholarship reveals some insights
about where we can go from here, as well as the roads not travelled.

"The Open University, Media Studies and New Times" by David Hesmondhalgh:
Insight into how The Open University has changed Media Studies Pedagogy.

"Spouse Exchanges: I Know the Perfect People..." by Megan Mullen:
Is the families selecting process to participate in reality TV showing American
entertainment preferences? Are you and your family eligible?

"Trauma Time: Family, Community and Criminality in Close to Home" by Diane
Negra:
How CBS' Close to Home redefines motherhood, community and family values.

We look forward to your visit.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff