SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 13:08:50 -0400
On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Harriet Kasow wrote:

> WOW:
> CARMEN MIRANDA-BANANAS IS MY BUSINESS. l995  Brazil/USA Helena Solberg
> I never knew that she at one time was the highest paid woman in America.

        They say that about everyone.  They said it about Dietrich before
Miranda.  In 1936, Dietrich earns $450,000 for *Knight Without Armor,*
the highest salary in the world earned by a woman that year.

> What a lovely
film and expertly done. The recreated Carmen (not too
> often as there is a tremendous amount of footage even Brazilian films that
> she appeared in ) is played by a drag Queen.

        You mean Mickey Rooney?

> I would be remiss if I didn't mention the docudrama PASOLINI; AN ITALIAN
> CRIME. 1995  Italy Marco tullio Giordana
> Using real footage with even an eulogy by a young Bernardo Bertolucci
> the directors hint

        Marco Tullio Giordana is a single person.

that Pasolini's death was not
due to rough
trade > sexually speaking but of his political writings shortly before his
> death.

        One theory was that the Italian Communist Party was responsible
for his death.  What this film did was to reopen the murder case and I
believe this is a very important accomplishment.

 No matter what you may have thought about him as a person
> or a filmmaker  (My husband disliked him for the one bad movie he made
> l20 Days of Sodom)

        "bad movie???"

        Gloria Monti