SCREEN-L Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:15:53 -0500
Please post
Call for Papers
Women’s and Gender Studies Programs
University of Texas at Austin
Proposals due June 15, 2001
Conference on Friday and Saturday, November 2-3, 2001

FANTASY

. . . is a conference that evokes at the same moment the erotic and the
pathological in order to derange productively the normative in social
scientific/humanist explanation by offering FANTASTIC exploration of
POWERpoint keywords for our times:  play, peril, politics.
·         How do we locate fantasies of power in the PLAY of fantasy?
·         How do we understand the POLITICally fantastic?
·         What are the PERILS of fantasy?
·         How do we understand fantasy as both a site of transgression, and
as a series of nodes for reproducing the social order?
·         How do we plot the mundaneness, the everydayness, of fantasy life
alongside its specular use of the foreign and exotic?
·         How does fantasy figure into utopic and dystopic thinking?  What
is its functions in creative engagements with material innovations in
buildings, pharmaceuticals, social spaces, body designs, environments,
information and pleasure storage and retrieval systems, conceptions of
health and wellness, commodities and style, political systems and policies,
notions of justice, sketches of space and time and being?
·         How does the private become a pleasured site of communal longing;
how might fantastic theory or ethnography re-imagine the lived space
between self and other;  in short, how is the “fan” of the fantastic produced?

The Women’s and Gender Studies Program at the University of Texas at Austin
invites proposals of about 500 words for a twenty-minute paper that
addresses any and all (or none) of these themes.   We will give preferences
to papers that treat these questions in terms of genders or sexualities and
are cross-disciplinary.  While we will invite several guest speakers and
will present papers ourselves, we seek outside presenters who might be
interested in exploring these matters over two days with the UT Women’s and
Gender Studies faculty and students.

Both UT and non-UT scholars should send their proposals by June 15, 2001, to:
         Janet Staiger, Center for Women’s Studies
405 West 25th Street (Walter Webb Hall), Suite 401
Campus Mail A4900
University of Texas at Austin, Austin TX 78705
512-471-5765; fax 512-475-8146
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/wstudies/
Notification of acceptance will be made by July 15, 2001.