SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:01:59 -0500
i'm surprised that my message about the evil women thread
elicited the response that it did . . . i hardly meant to limit real
discussion, which i would be against regardless of the subject
matter . . .

but there was no discussion, only lists . . . and what troubled me here
was the unself-conscious, unself-critical character of these unannotated
lists which, because of the nature of the subject, could easily have grown
to include gazillions of movies, all of which involve some undifferentiated
notion of the evil woman . . . to me this makes as much sense as asking
for a list of films in which someone gets shot, with the additional very
significant problem that it totally ignores the important cultural stakes of
representing women as evil . . . it was that last point that i wanted to
insert into the conversation, because ignoring it seems to me
dangeroulsy irresponsible . . .

mike frank