SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

From:
"J. Meissner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1992 15:02:10 EDT
More Bars in Movies

It was my initial impression that you (whomever it was who
originally asked for suggestions--sorry I lost original posting) just
wanted movies from the 20's-50's, but I guess I'll just jump on the
bandwagon and suggest some more recent films.
1.  _Barfly_.  Didn't
see it, but am familiar with Bukowsky's poetry and prose, and I'm sure
it's an informed look at bar subculture.

2.  _The Hustler_.  Classic bar/pooljoint movie with a marvelously
evocative atmosphere.

3.  _The Color of Money_.  Scorcese's sequel
to the above film.  Underrated, in my opinion, one of Scorcese's greats
and one of the best films of the 80's----you can practically *smell* the
sleazy-greasy-yuppie 80's in this picture, if you'lll pardon the
disgusting imagery.

Well, there's what comes off the top of my head--if you really are
looking for films only in that particular period, I apologize, and would
hesitate to point out the "Martini's" bar scene in that sappy Capra
stand-by _It's a Wonderful Life_.  What the hell does Capra know about
such things? :-)

J. Meissner
Brown University