SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:48:32 -0600
Dan Johnson requests:
"I am looking for input for a graduate-level course I will be teaching next
semester.
The title is "Education in the Age of Television."  I am planning this
6-week course now to include some readings from Howard Gardner, Neil
Postman, Jerry Mander, John Gardner, Howard Gardner, and William Bennett.
This coruse will undertake a social commentary on the state of education in
the twentieth century.  Students will learn what specific challenges
technology presents and strategies for their solutions.
Who can offer some opinions about the cultural/social/technological changes
since the age of television began?"

Some suggestions:
LIVING ROOM LECTURES by Nina Liebman
STILL LIFE IN REAL TIME: THEORY AFTER TELEVISION by John P. McCarthy
TELELITERACY: TAKING TELEVISION SERIOUSLY by David Bianculli

From my own personal bias, I have to say that what I've seen of these three
books looks somewhat more subtle than the authors you list, whom I find
to be reductionist, whether pro- or anti-TV.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)