SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 4

Sender:
From:
mike chopra-gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:38:39 +0100
I have to say I agree that the use of the term "unlikely" is extremely
problematic and, depending on the perspective you adopt, could include films
such as "When Harry Met Sally" and "You've Got Mail"- where the couples are
unlikely because the individuals apparently dislike each other - "Sleepless
in Seattle" - unlikely because of geographical distance.  "West Side Story"
and any other derivatives of the"Romeo and Juliet" story provide a rich vein
of "unlikely" couples.  The problem is that the reasons for the unlikeliness
are so diverse that it would be difficult to generalise about these films in
any meaningful way.

One thing does interest me in the original posting, though: what is so
unlikely about a relationship between a businessman and a prostitute?

Mike Chopra-Gant
Media and Communications Dept
Goldsmiths
University of London