SCREEN-L Archives

February 2001, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:44:45 -0600
Ruth Permlmutter requests:

> Any colleagues out there know in which film a Busby Berkeley musical
> number featured a ball traversing between the legs of a line of
> chorines? Is it in a film that is available on video and does anyone
> have a video with Busby Berkeley numbers from different movies?
> Cheerfully, Ruth Perlmutter

I'm pretty sure that the ball is rolled by a baby (played by the
late Billy Barty, who died less than 2 months ago) in the "Pettin' in
the Park" sequence from GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933.  The film itself (which
Mervyn LeRoy got directing credit for) should be available on VHS.  The
number may also be featured in "Busby Berkeley: Going through the Roof"
that was part of the "American Masters" series on PBS about 2 years ago.

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University