SCREEN-L Archives

December 1998, Week 1

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 02:07:38 -0500
At 11:00 AM 11/26/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am trying to identify which films had the largest box office grosses in
>the USA in 1946, 1954 and 1976.  Does anyone know whether there is a ready
>source for these figures?  Would, for example, Variety or Hollywood

Try the book "Reel Facts" (out of print) which has listings of such figures
up to its pub date in the mid-80s.  It's derived from year-end figures
published by Variety which means that it only covers that year (and not
total rentals for a title) and that films with a limited year-end release
may show up the following year.  I should note that I've sometimes found
that these figures conflict with other sources such as biographies which
may be attributable to the yearly or total differences.

LT
Lang Thompson
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4

New at the Funhouse website:  Did Elvis Steal Rock 'n'
Roll?, The X-Files Movie Bites!, music reviews

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite