SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:48:48 -0500
If you use the Internet Mail program built into Microsoft Windows 95 (or the
one bundled with Internet Explorer) you are in danger of unintentionally
aggravating your pals on SCREEN-L and other discussion lists!

MS Mail can add a bunch of garbarge to the end of a message--as we just saw
with a message from Rob Yengst (sorry, don't mean to pick on you, Rob!) that
ended with:

>begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
>M>)\^(C$+`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$-@ 0`
>M`@````(``@`!!) &`$ !```!````# ````,``# #````"P`/#@`````"`?\/
>M`0```%<`````````@2L?I+ZC$!F=;@#=`0]4`@````!&:6QM(&%N9"!45B!3

Followed by a couple dozen more lines of nonsense characters.

What causes this?  I believe it is MS Mail's encoding of messages to make
them "Quoted Printable"--which allows special characters and formating in
the messages.  If this encoding is used on messages sent to SCREEN-L, it
will generate junk like the above and aggravate SCREEN-L subscribers no end.

How do you get rid of it?

In MS Mail,

1.  Choose Settings from the Format menu.

2.  In the "Plain Text Settings" dialog box, under "MIME," make sure that
the choice for "Encode text using" is set to "None" and *not* "Quoted
Printable."

I'm not 100% sure that this is the solution.  I read about it a couple of
weeks ago and did not save the information, but I'm pretty sure that "Quoted
Printable" messages are the problem here.

Regards,

----
Jeremy Butler
mailto:[log in to unmask]
SCREENsite http://www.sa.ua.edu/SCREENsite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa